Shinruksa Temple



 Shinruksa Temple is situated on the slope of Mt. Pongmisan, in the upstream area of the Namhangang River, 2.5km away from Yoju- eup. Legend has it that this temple was built by Wonhyo-Daesa, a revered Buddhist master of the Shilla kingdom, but relics
and historical sites do not support this. The temple owes its name (Shinruk, "marvelous bridle") to a Buddhist monk from the period of King Kojong of the Koryo dynasty.  According to this tale, when a wild and fierce horse appeared in a nearby village, the Buddhist master came to put a bridle on the horse with his miraculous power.
The temple became well known when a famous zen monk, Naongsonsa, faced death there in 1376, the second year of King Uwang of the Koryo dynasty.  After the monk's death, the temple was rebuilt, its scale expanded, and enjoyed its heyday. But it could not escape degradation, because the new Choson dynasty preferred Confucianism to Buddhism, and gave priority to suppressing the latter.
The temple soon regained its former glory as it was designated the official temple for praying to the ghost of King Sejong. During the Japanese invasion in the sixteenth century, many buildings were burnt and then restored in 1671, the twelfth year of King Hyonjong of the Choson dynasty

This temple contains priceless treasures, such as Kungnakpojon Hall (Kyonggi Province's Tangible Cultural Property no.128), the multi-layer stone pagoda (no. 225), Chosadang Hall (180), Pojejonja-sokchongbudo stupa (228), Pojejonja- sokchongbi monument (231), Taejanggakkibi monument (230) and the multi-layer brick pagoda (226).