On this site used
to stand Unaksa Temple.
It was built by Poinguksa in
969, the 20th year of the reign of King Kwangjong
of the Koryo
Dynasty. In 1469, the first year of the reign
of King Yejong, Queen Chonghee,
wife of King Sejo, established the tomb of
her husband on this mountain and renamed the temple Bongsunsa. As the temple
experienced several wars including the Imjinwaeran, Pyongjahoran,
and the Korean War, it has been
burned down and rebuilt several times. The peaceful and quiet
temple gained its fame when the famous Korean novelist Ch'unwon
Lee Kwangsu, and Sohae Ch'oehaksong, Unam Kim Song-suk, and Ko Eun,
a famous poet, became friends with Unho, a former
head monk of this temple.
The thickly wooded road in front of the temple toward the direction
of P'och'on leads to the Forest Museum built and managed by the
Korea Forestry Research Institute.