Chungyolsa, Admiral Lee Shrine


Chungyolsa1
Chungyolsa is the shrine where the mortuary tablet of Admiral Lee is enshrined.  It was built under the royal order in the 39th year of King Seonjo (1606), 7 years after the end of the Imjin War, by Lee Unyong, the 7th admiralty commander, in order to admire and commemorate the Admiral's loyalty and brilliant exploits.   After that, in the 4th year of King Hyonjong, the king gave the name Chungyolsa, for which the calligraphy was written by Sir Munjong, Song Jeongil.  In the 11th year of King Hyonjong, Choe Seok, the 51st admiralty commander, added Kyongchungje to open a private school and educate the local children.  In the 44th year of King Sukjong (1718), Kim Junggi, the 92nd admiralty commander, created Sungmudang and selected 3 military officers and had them solicit money and cereals, do office work and control.

Chungyolsa2Also, he received Yondae-do (located in Sanyang town, Tongyong-shi) as a land conferred by the king and secured fields and paddies to preserve the shrine.
 In the 19th year of King Jeongjo (1795), the king had a complete book on Admiral Lee issued and ordered for a royal bulletin. In the late period of Joseon, in the 6th year of King Gojong (1868), when Lord Daewon issued a decree for the nationwide abolition of private schools, only the school of
Chungyolsa was exempted and preserved.

 Now, Chungyolsa is composed of 22 buildings such as shrines and Dongseoje, Gyongchungje, Seongmudang, Plate House, Exhibition Hall, Ganghanru in the precinct area of 8,172 .  It also includes the Ming Dynasty Palsapum (treasure no. 440), local tangible cultural  asset Chungyol Tombstone, local monument camellia, and other movable cultural assets.  Particularly in Chungyolsa, events are specially held in the spring and fall, on the jungjong day of Lunar February and August in memory of Admiral Lee, the soul of the national defense, and all the soldiers under his command.

The Birthday Commemoration Service is held for the admiral every Aug. 28, the Martyrdom Memorial Service is held every lunar Nov. 19, and the Koje, a local festival that commemorates the Hansan Great Victory in a solemn traditional sacrificial rituals.  Since the Admiralty had been dissolved and official assistance stopped, the
Chungyolsa Permanent Preservation Association was organized by the local people in order to take charge in the administration of Chungyolsa.  However, in 1951, a judicial foundation "Tongyong Chungyolsa" was established and has since then taken a systematic control.
 Even under the extreme difficulty of living under the Japanese rule, our ancestors made every effort to preserve various cultural heritages in their original shape we pay deep respect to their deeds


Palsapum1 Palsapum2

Chungyolsa Palsapum  

These are stolen military goods that were sent by Emperor Shin of the Ming Dynasty and kept here.
All together, these relics are 8 kinds and 15 pieces, and they had been kept in the Admiralty until transferred to
Chungyolsa in 1896 after the reorganization of the admiralty system in July of the 32nd year of King Gojong(1895).

1. Todok Seal 1 piece : This is a rectangular-shaped seal made of copper and with a handle, 5.5cm wide, 10 cm long, and 1.1 cm thick.
This seal is kept in a covered case of which the edges are rounded off.

2. Hodu Commanding Tablet : This is made of wood, 20.5 cm wide, 21 cm long, and 1.7 cm thick, with one side painted black, and the word "command" is inscribed red color, and the other side powdered and the word "commander" is written.
This wooden tablet has a bag made of deer hide, and a painting of a leopard head for decoration.

3. Ghost sword 2 pieces : This is a sword with a total length of 162 cm, the length of the blade is 90 cm, and width 4.3 cm. The handle is made of bead wood with a dragon's head carving and on top of it, a red sculptured ghost head is mounted.
The sheath is made of paulownia wood, wrapped in paper, and painted red.

4. Cham Sword : This is a sword, 162 cm long and 3.5 cm wide. The handle is made of   wood, but wrapped with shark skin, painted red, and then wound with cowhide thread. The sheath is also made of wood, wrapped in cowhide, painted red, and then decorated with silver-plated iron.

5. War Banner 2 scrolls : This is a banner used to encourage soldiers to fight vigorously in battles. It is 60 cm wide. 70 cm long. The handle is 303 cm long and at the tip of the handle is a 24 cm long spear. It is made of indigo silk and in the center " Follow the command when faced with the enemy, or you will be killed" is written. On both the left and right sides, a patch bearing the statement "Challenge! At the tip of the banner, spear is fixed." is sewn.

6. Red Commanding Banner 2 scrolls : This is a banner, 60 cm wide, 70 cm long, with a handle 204 cm long, which was used to convey military commands.

7. Indigo Commanding Banner : This is of the same type as the Red Commanding Banner, but the word "command" made of red silk is patched on the indigo silk surface.
Like the Red Commanding Banner, a spear is stuck at the tip of the handle.

8. Curved Trumpet 2 pieces : This is a curved trumpet 130 cm long, with the mouth diameter of 19 cm. It is made of copper, with its mouth spreading wide, 4 joints, and a red tassel hanging down. It was so named because of the curved neck.