Fortress is in the area where the military
the Chungchong resided. The military command base
was originally located in Toksan, but was moved to Haemi. Fortress
construction began in the 18th year of King Taejong of Choson Dynasty and
was completed in 1491, the 22nd year of King Songjong of Choson Dynasty.
This is a huge fortress over four meters high and encircling
a total area of 198,000 square meters over a length of about two
kilometers. It has three gates in the east, south and west.
Recently, restoration of the fortress was completed.
Haemiupsung Fortress is also noted as a holy ground
for Catholic martyrs. The area was recently turned into a historic