This temple was built by buddhist priest Ado-Hwasang
in 381, the 11th year of King Sohsurim(r.371-384) of the Goguryo
period (37 B.C. - A.D. 668) and named Chinjong Temple. It
was renamed Jeondeungsa
the temple of the inherited lamp, after Princess Chonghwa, the first
wife of King Chungnyol (r. 1274-1308) of the Goryo Dynasty, donated
a jade lamp to the temple in 1282.