An organization, Gongju Historic
Remains Preservation, was founded to collect and preserve historic
remains in Gongju in 1935. Another organization, Gongju Historic
Remains Hyunchanghwoe, was organized and a museum was open in 1940.
After the liberation from the Japanese rule, it developed
into a national museum in April, 1946. After the excavation of the
Tomb of King Mooryul, the museum was expanded and reconstructed
with showrooms of 300 pyung in 1972.
The museum has exhibitions in 108 categories containing with
2906 articles with 500 items from the Tomb of King Muryung. It also
shows 8,300 articles of cultural remains arranged according
to historical periods.