Ssanggyesa Temple



Ssanggyesa Temple is located in Sachon-ri, a two square kilometer field surrounded by mountains, 7 km southeast of Jindoup, across the "Pass of the King's Graves". Founded by
the great priest Tosun in the Shilla Dynasty, the temple was named Ssangkye ("Two Streams") because of the two streams that flowed along both sides of the temple.

Above the valley of the temple, there is a 3,700 pyong (3 acre) evergreen forest containing about 50 species of trees, and designated Nature Monument No. 107. The main shrine of the temple was founded in 1697, according to the record of construction, in the 23rd year of King Sukjong. Written on the ridge door of the shrine, on this record was found during repairs on the shrine in 1982.

Placing the cornerstone on a 1 meter high natural stone prop, the builders of the temple constructed a column. The temple is an entasis-style building with three rooms in front and two rooms on each side, with a roof that lacks eaves, and which
has rounded sideboarding at either end. The great central door is composed of four small doors with a figure of teeth of comb, and two side doors, composed of three small doors, with a figure of bamboo frame.


Boards which support the rafters project in three pieces all exactly alike. The style of the boards is similar to that of the
base of a stone pagoda.

Purlins consist of inside and outside ones, middle and last ones. Pillars are placed on both sides of the shrine, and the roof, which has exposed girders, is boarded in the shape of
the Chinese character for "well" (οΜ