Woonmoonsa Temple was first constructed in the northern foot of
mountain by priest Sinsung, and then reconstructed by priest Wonkwang, Boyang, Wonung,
and Ilyon in turn. The building was partially destroyed during the
Japanese invasion of 1592, however, where there remain many temples
including its main building until now.
In the temple
are 7 historical treasures such as a curious pine tree as natural
monument, and stone lamp in front of Kumdang. In addition,
it has 4 hermitages like Naewonam, Pukdaeam, Chongsinam and Sariam
which make the landscape harmonizing a dense forest around it more
beautiful, especially, where the Five Buddhist Commandments, developed
by priest Wonkwang, have been handed down which played an important
role in the unification of Shilla, and Samkukyusa was written by
priest Ilyon during the reign of the Koryo king Chungryon. Moreover,
here is a college for 250 female
priests who study Chinese classics.