Brief history | Establishment of Camp | The incident of adduction and riot | Withdrawl of Camp



Keoje P.O.W Camp : The Live Educational Site for the Remembrance
        of the Pain of the Korean War

 

 The outbreak of the Korean War on June 25th 1950,
led to the establishment of a massive
P.O.W. camp
in the districts of Kohyun,Samdong, Yongsan, Yang
-iong, Suwol, Haemyong and Jeosan.
The camp had to accommodate a total of 170,000
P.O.W.s.,consisting of 150,000 North Korean soldiers and 20,000 Chinese soldiers. Approximately 300 of the prisoner were female.



 

 There were frequent bloody, often fatal, encounters between anti-communist and pro-communist P.O.W. factions. The situation was so chaotic, that on May 7, 1952, one faction actually managed to kidnap the camp commander, American Brigadier General Dod, and held him until his release was negotiated three days later.



 




 

 Today, only a portion of the camp buildings still re
-main to tell the story of this horrific time.  It was decided in December, 1983 to protect the remnants
of the camp by designating it as Kyongsang Province Cultural Asset No. 99. At that time ,existing camp photographs and clothing were collected in order to exhibit them at the remains of the Guard Company's Barracks, which are located between Kohyun General High School and Kohyun Middle School.
 The government is at present constructing a 9,975 "pyong" (approximately 990m) in size and the con- struction of a 9,975 "pyong" (approximately 1172 
) exhibition hall for the display fo the collection of camp artifacts.  Construction is currently scheduled for completion by December 31, 1999